MANAGE BACKS sessions for Low Back Pain
What is MANAGE BACKS?
At Cardiff and Vale University Health Board we are offering a session called MANAGE BACKS, which aims to help you manage low back pain.
The MANAGE BACKS programme has been developed with GP’s, Orthopaedic surgeons, Physiotherapists and people like you, who have lower back pain.
The 90-minute group session is delivered by specially trained physiotherapists in community leisure centres.
The MANAGE BACKS session offers the opportunity for people who have lower back pain to:
- learn more about the condition,
- find out the most up-to-date understanding of what can help and the options you have
- discover various ways to help you effectively manage the symptoms associated with it.
The MANAGE BACKS approach
We appreciate that people are different – we enjoy different things and goals in life. Similarly, back pain affects people in different ways so finding the right treatments or management plan to suit your needs is important. With MANAGE BACKS we believe you should be at the centre of deciding how you want to manage your back pain. When you are involved in these decisions you are more likely to engage in the treatment and to have a more successful outcome. MANAGE BACKS is about sharing information and experiences that will help you to make those decisions.
What you can expect from MANAGE BACKS
During the MANAGE BACKS session we will:
- provide up-to-date information about mechanical back pain, what it is and what it isn’t
- bring the science which tells us which treatments are safe and effective ways of managing it.
- share information about what services are available locally to help you
- encourage you and others to share your own experiences of lower back pain, how it affects you and what has or hasn’t been effective in your circumstances
By the end of a MANAGE BACKS session you will have a better understanding of the condition, what you want to do to manage it and how to go about getting the help you need, which may include:
- NERs exercise scheme in local leisure centres
- Escape Pain Backs
- Outpatient physiotherapy
- Back in Action Pain Management Programme
- Lifestyle Management
- Recovery and Wellbeing college
- Self-management resources
How to access MANAGE BACKS
We are currently offering the opportunity to attend the session through GP referrals into Physiotherapy, spinal surgery and the Clinical Musculoskeletal Assessment and Treatment Service.
If you are interested in attending please ask your GP for a referral into any of these services.