Supporting you while awaiting your joint replacement surgery
It is important that people with arthritis waiting for surgery have access to support while they wait. Many people report that they have struggled to manage their pain and symptoms, as well as the effect that this has had on their mobility, independence, physical and mental well-being.
VERSUS Arthritis, the national organisation supporting people living with arthritis, has recommended that support is provided to help you manage your symptoms and improve your health and well-being, while also enabling you to prepare well for your surgery.
In line with their recommendations, Cardiff and Vale UHB is offering additional support in the form of an evidence-based group rehabilitation programme called ESCAPE-pain.
Escape Pain - Hip and Knee
Enabling Self-Management and Coping with Arthritic Pain using Exercise (ESCAPE)
ESCAPE Pain is a rehabilitation programme for people with chronic joint pain that integrates educational self-management and coping strategies with an exercise programme individualised for each participant.
What does the ESCAPE Pain Programme for Knee and Hip Osteoarthritis involve?
- The programme is 6 weeks long
- You will attend 2 classes each week (12 classes in total)
- 15-20 minutes group discussion on a specific topic relating to joint pain
- 30-40 minutes of different exercises designed to improve your movement and function
- You will be asked to complete a questionnaire before and after the programme. You will be provided with your own individual results, which will be useful to see how much progress you have made.
What is Osteoarthritis?
Exercising with Arthritis
Have a look at these short videos from people who have participated in the ESCAPE Pain Programme
Where can I attend ESCAPE Pain for hip or knee osteoarthritis?
Cardiff and Vale UHB offers the ESCAPE Pain Programme for people awaiting hip or knee joint replacement surgery at the following locations:
How do I refer myself?
If you are interested in participating in the ESCAPE-pain programme, please complete the referral form below: