Keeping Me Well - Cardiff and Vale University Hospital

Adult Speech and Language Therapy

The Adult Speech and Language Therapy Service works with adults with speech, language, communication and swallowing difficulties. After completing a comprehensive assessment, we develop a management plan to maximise the communication or swallowing potential of the individual, with the aim of improving quality of life. We work closely with other professionals, such as, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, psychologists, dieticians, and the medical team.

Adult communication difficulties can happen after a specific neurological event, such as a stroke or other type of brain injury, or they may happen as a result of a progressive neurological condition such as Parkinson’s. Changes such as physical injury or a psychological problem can also affect our ability to communicate.

Swallowing difficulties (also called dysphagia) can be a difficulty with eating, drinking or swallowing. People with dysphagia often have other health conditions, for which they are being treated, which affect their ability to swallow.

How to support communication (T.A.L.K)

Give time for someone to understand or to express themselves.

The individual if there are any particular strategies that work or do not work in supporting their communication.

 To feedback and act on it.

Using different strategies. Take a break and come back to it if needed.

Sometimes people benefit from using a communication aid (also called AAC) to help them communicate their ideas. This often involves the use of pictures, symbols or written words to represent a message. It can involve paper-based communication aids or specific pieces of equipment to meet their needs.

What to do if you are concerned about communication or swallowing?

The Adult Speech and Language Therapy Service sees adults as an inpatient, an outpatient, in their own home, or in care homes. We aim to accommodate people’s needs within the service resources available.

If you are already known to our service, please follow the advice you have been given by the Speech and Language Therapist. If you have any queries, please contact us via the number below.

If you live in the Cardiff and Vale area and feel you may need help, contact your GP who can refer you to the relevant service.


If you feel you would benefit from a referral to the Outpatient Speech and Language Therapy service, please contact your GP. 

Alternatively, you are able to self-refer for certain treatments by calling 02920 743012 or by completing an Outpatients Referral Form (Microsoft Word) and returning it to

Keeping Me Well - Cardiff and Vale University Hospital

Help us improve Keeping Me Well!

We’re currently working to improve the Keeping Me Well website. If you’d like to help us make this site a better, more helpful experience for you, please take a few minutes to let us know what improvements you’d like to see.

Skip to content