Occupational Therapy in Sam Davies Ward, Barry Hospital
The Sam Davies Ward is a rehabilitation ward for patients who live in the Vale of Glamorgan.
People admitted to the ward are usually over the age of 65 and are transferred when medically stable for rehabilitation from wards in University Hospital Llandough, University Hospital Wales and out of area hospitals once.
The Occupational Therapists work with people with a wide range of medical conditions including dementias, cognitive impairments or other chronic conditions, as well as those who need end-of-life care.
As a rehabilitation service we aim to prevent any loss in people’s ability to complete activities of daily living or in cognitive skills, with the aim of increasing independence and reintroducing daily routines and roles towards a safe and successful discharge.
We are able to provide aids and equipment following assessment and we are able to refer people to community services for ongoing rehabilitation and support following hospital discharge.
In order to help us help you, or your loved ones, when on the Sam Davies Ward it is useful to have the following items brought in from home:
- Footwear with backs
- Day clothes (approx three outfits)
- Mobility aid (if using one at home)
- Toiletries (no towels required)
- Hearing aids and batteries
- Glasses and any other communication aids that are beneficial to the patient
- Things of interest – books, puzzles, iPad, magazines, music etc.
Below are a range of common difficulties for our patients and ways to manage these. Click on the ones which apply to you:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Wales Mobility and Driving Assessment Service
- Age Connect Wales
- Age UK
- Alzheimer’s Society
- Care and Repair Cymru – Improving homes and changing lives
- Support for veterans of the Merchant Navy and their families
- Financial Support for veterans and their family via the Soldiers, Sailors, Air-force and Families Association
- Vale of Glamorgan Community Alarm Service
- Vale of Glamorgan Sensory Service
- Vale of Glamorgan Social Care and Health
Referral process: Occupational therapists provide a five-day service to the ward (Monday – Friday). The Occupational therapist considers each person who is transferred to the Sam Davies Ward and the level of occupational therapy input required.
Address: Barry Community Hospital, Colcot Road, Barry, CF62 8YH