This information applies to most problems involving muscle, tendon, ligament and joints.
- They usually settle down on their own between 6 weeks and 6 months.
- You should expect pain, movement and function to improve within 2 to 6 weeks.
- Keeping active, even if gently at first, is important.
- If movement hurts at first, consider a gradual return.
- Do more manageable activities first and build up as things improve.
- Don’t sit down or stay still for too long, change positions regularly.
- Avoid bed rest during the day.
- If you have had to take time off work, it is strongly recommended that you gradually return as soon as possible. Speak to your employer and find out how they can support you with your recovery.
- Common conditions