Getting the most out of your day
Having arthritis can impact many parts of your life. It can be difficult and time consuming to do day to day activities when you have painful joints.
What can help?
It is beneficial to think about smarter ways to get things done by pacing yourself. Rather than pain controlling you, you can feel like you have more control, helping you to get the most out of your day.
What is pacing?
Pacing is just one technique that is taught to help people cope with pain.
The first step is to recognise what activities you do every day that often cause you to feel fatigued. Once you have identified these then you can go about altering the way you do these things and put the following strategies in place to help.
- Organise yourself and declutter.
- Keep things within easy reach.
- Always keep things in the same place – to avoid spending time and energy looking for them.
- Plan your day so that you have time to do the things you want to do most.
- Prioritise tasks that are important or essential.
- If necessary ask for help from family, friends or neighbours.
- Take your time
- Take regular breaks during a task.