Pelvic Health Physiotherapy
The Pelvic Health Physiotherapy team assess and treat disorders of the pelvis and pelvic floor.
We specialise in treating:
- Pregnancy related muscle and joint (musculoskeletal) problems including hip, back and pelvic girdle pain
- Postnatal abdominal separation (rectus abdominus diastasis)
- Bladder problems including urgently, frequently or losing control passing urine
- Bladder pain syndrome
- Bowel problems including incontinence, urgency, constipation and difficulty emptying bowels
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Postnatal pelvic floor recovery including 3rd and 4th degree perineal tears and bladder or bowel problems
- Perineal wound breakdown
- Perineal pain
- Carpel Tunnel syndrome in pregnancy
- Advice on lifestyle and activity changes
- Individualised exercise programmes
- A pregnancy related pelvic girdle and back pain virtual group
- Manual (‘hands on’) therapy including mobilisation techniques
- Biofeedback – specialist equipment to improve normal pelvic floor muscle function
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation – specialist equipment to increase awareness and strength of pelvic floor muscles
- Equipment provision, e.g. crutches
- Perineal wound breakdown or haematoma treatment
To get the best out of your treatment, we ask our patients to do the following:
- Watch our videos
- Adhere to your exercise programme
- Complete necessary charts and forms
- Commitment to attendance policy – read it here
- Complete a full course of treatment
- Communicate any issues or concerns regarding your treatment with your Physiotherapist
We accept referrals from GPs (General Practice), Consultants, Health Visitors, Continence Services, other Therapists and Midwives.
Our attendance policy
In order to keep appointment waiting lists as short as possible for all patients, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board’s Patient Access Policy states that:
- If you do not attend your appointment, you must contact the department on the same day to avoid being discharged.
- If you cancel two appointments or do not contact us to re-book within a month of cancelling, you will be discharged.
This policy applies to face to face and virtual appointments.
If you have any questions regarding this attendance policy, please speak to a member of staff and we will be happy to discuss it with you.
Pelvic Health resources
Click on the boxes below for more information and guidance on Pelvic Health Physiotherapy.
Where to find us
The Pelvic Health Physiotherapy teams for Cardiff and the Vale University Health Board are based at:
University Hospital of Wales
1st Floor (Ward A & B)
University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park
Cardiff, CF14 4XW
The Lakeside wing is located opposite the main hospital entrance and concourse, next to the lake.
Cardiff Royal Infirmary (CRI)
Located in the Therapies Outpatients Department which is situated on the right side of the corridor as you walk in through the main hospital entrance.
Pelvic Health Hub
The Pelvic Health Hub is located in the Main Outpatients Department on the ground floor of the hospital.
Please note that not all of our services are available at these sites. Please speak to your physiotherapist for more information.
Also in this section
If you have any URGENT Pelvic Health Physiotherapy enquiries please call 02920 335717 and you can leave a message on the answerphone and we will get back to you as soon as we are able.