Occupational Therapy in Trauma and Elective Orthopaedics
The trauma and elective orthopaedic Occupational Therapy team are based at University Hospital Llandough. We are an integral part of the service provided to patients who are undergoing orthopaedic surgery. We specialise in the treatment of patients who are admitted to hospital due to a traumatic accident, and patients undergoing planned surgery.
Occupational Therapy input for people undergoing elective orthopaedic surgery can take place in the hospital during your admission or pre-operatively via telephone or video consultation. Assessment and intervention for trauma patients who have sustained fractures will take place in the hospital environment.
The Trauma Occupational Therapy team
The Trauma Occupational Therapy team are based at two sites:
- University Hospital Wales in Cardiff
- University Hospital Llandough
When you have had an operation following an injury – such as a hip, knee or ankle fracture – the Occupational Therapist will meet you on the ward.
- find out how you were managing at home with everyday tasks before coming into hospital
- talk about how this may have changed after your surgery
- help plan for your return home
The Elective Occupational Therapy team
The Elective Occupational Therapy team are based at University Hospital Llandough.
Occupational Therapy for elective surgery – such as hip or knee replacements, or foot or ankle surgery – starts before your planned operation.
You may be contacted by phone before your operation by a member of the team.
- find out how you are currently managing at home
- how this may change after you have had your surgery
The links below are useful for you as you prepare for your planned surgery or recover:
For more information about arthritis click on the links below:
Read the links below for useful information on falls and preventing falls
The following pages have more information about joint pain and pain management:
Your mental, physical and emotional wellbeing all has an impact on how well you recover from trauma or elective surgery. Here are some resources which may help your overall wellbeing.
Videos that may help before you come into hospital
Preparing for Hip Surgery: A Practical Guide
What to expect in hospital: admission and surgery
Recovery after your hip replacement
Exercises to do prior to your surgery
Information that may prove helpful before and after your operation
- Telecare Cardiff and Meals on Wheels
- Cardiff Council – AskSara
- Vest Community Transport – Supporting independence in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan
- Age Connects Cardiff and the Vale
- Care and Repair Cymru: Improving Homes, Changing Lives
- Hip replacement (NHS)
- TeleV packages (Vale of Glamorgan Council)
- The Royal British Legion
- Versus Arthritis
- Wiltshire Farm Foods
- Cardiff Council
- Vale of Glamorgan Council
- Independent Living Services in Cardiff
- Adult Social Care, Vale of Glamorgan
- Hire or borrow a wheelchair
Contact / referral details
You will be referred to the team via your GP or consultant.