There are lots of causes of ankle pain and several thing you can do yourself to help.
- Rest and raise your ankle when you can
- Put an ice pack (or bag of frozen peas) in a towel on your ankle for up to 20 minutes every two to three hours
- Wear wide comfortable shoes with a low heel and good support.
- Use insoles or heel pads in your shoes
- Wrap a bandage around your ankle to support it
- Try regular gentle exercises and keep moving
- Use pain relief gels or take your usual preferred pain killers
- Weight loss
You should urgently call 111 if you have had an injury or sudden onset of severe pain AND
- You heard a snap, crack or pop noise at the time it happened
- You are unable to stand or walk on it
- Your foot or leg has changed shape
Things to avoid:
- Don’t wear slip on, high heel, or unsupportive footwear
- Don’t stand or walk for long periods or on uneven ground
- Do not take Ibuprofen for the first 48 hours after any injury
- Stand on a level surface with your feet about six-inches apart.
- Hold onto a stable surface to maintain balance.
- Slowly raise on to toes, taking three seconds to rise and three seconds to lower.
- Repeat this 20 times, three times a day.