Musculoskeletal Podiatry is a specialist area of the service focusing on the management of conditions that may affect the muscles, soft tissues and joints of the foot, ankle and lower limb.
Pain may be due to structural, functional or previous injury leading to problems with your feet and ankles. Foot and ankle pain can cause discomfort and impact on everyday activity and ability to exercise.
- We assess, diagnose, treat or signpost to help resolve or reduce the pain and loss of function by helping you to understand and manage your ankle or foot condition.
- We observe your gait (walking) and postural alignment.
- We may help improve function focusing on muscle strength and flexibility.
- We may provide orthoses or insoles to help with your pain and improve function.
When attending an MSK Podiatry appointment, the Podiatrist may perform a Biomechanical assessment. This involves assessing your feet, checking the joints and movement in your feet and ankles, observing your walking / gait pattern, viewing foot posture when standing and assessing muscle strength.
The Podiatrist will discuss the treatment options which may include some of the following:
- advice, education and a muscle strength / flexibility exercise plan
- orthoses, insoles or ankle supports
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (SWT) – only when diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis / Achilles Tendinitis
- Signposting or referral to another service such as Radiology, Physiotherapy or Orthopaedics
Also in this section
Orthotic advice leaflet