Cutting and Filing Toe Nails
Make sure that you have the right tools for the job before you start cutting your toenails. Different types of nail clippers are available to buy in pharmacies, supermarkets and on the internet.
You might find that sitting down and putting your foot up on a stool in front of you is helpful.
- Cut your nails straight across and use a file to smooth rough edges
- Do not cut your nails too short or cut down the sides
- Do not poke anything down the side of the toe.
- Use a soft nail brush to keep your nails clean
Lots of people use a nail file to help keep their nails comfortable.
- Use a good quality nail file or emery board
- Hold the file over the nail and pull it gently away from you
- Do not file the nails too close to the skin
- Carry this out 1-2 times weekly to keep nails manageable