Occupational Therapy

Occupational Therapy, often referred to as OT, is a registered healthcare profession that focuses on developing, recovering, or maintaining the daily living and working skills
(occupations) of people with physical, sensory, mental health, or cognitive (thinking and memory) difficulties. Rehabilitation and enablement is the cornerstone of
Occupational Therapy.

What do Occupational Therapists do?

Occupational Therapy aims to enable people to participate in health promoting and sustaining activities that are that are personally meaningful, fulfilling and offer a reflection or expression of self-identity.

Occupational Therapists do this by working with an individual to find, reduce or remove environmental, social, psychological and physical barriers that maybe impacting on participation in activities. An Occupational Therapist may suggest and advise on aids and equipment, task adaptation, environmental change, education and skill building. 

Cardiff and the Vale’s University Health Board Occupational Therapists work with a wide range of individuals, from children to older adults, and across many services that are hospital and community based. Such services include:

  • Trauma and Orthopaedics
  • Medical and Surgical Hospital wards
  • A&E
  • Hand Therapy
  • Mental Health Services
  • Eating Disorders Services
  • Learning Disability
  • Palliative Care
  • Community Rehabilitation Services
  • Chronic Condition Management Teams
  • Stroke
  • Spinal Injury
  • Brain Injury
  • Prison Mental Health Care

Occupational Therapists can work with patients within the Health Board’s hospitals, their homes and other places within their environment.

Further UK National information on Occupational Therapy can be found on the Royal College of Occupational Therapy’s website and social media pages: www.rcot.co.uk

Referral to Health Board Occupational Therapy

If you feel you need or would benefit from Occupational Therapy, there is no direct self-referral process, a referral is normally through specific multi-disciplinary team or service referral pathways.

Access may be through a consultation with your Long Term Condition Team,
Clinical Team or GP.

Cardiff and Vale Community Occupational Therapy Service:

There are also Occupational Therapists who work within the local Councils:

  • Vale of Glamorgan Council have an Occupational Therapy and Sensory Impairment Team based within Social Services.
  • Cardiff Council have an Occupational Therapy Team covering Adults & Paediatrics based within Housing & Communities, Independent Living Services.

 The role of the Occupational Therapists within these services is to complete assessments in your homes when you have a long term health condition that affects how you are able to manage at home.

Following the assessment they may be able to provide equipment or carry out adaptations to your home that would enable you to stay living there safely or to maintain your independence.

Adults Telephone: 02920234234
E-mail: OTAdmin@cardiff.gov.uk

Paediatrics (Family Gateway) Telephone: 0300 133 133

First Contact: 01446700111

Independent Living Services       

Adults telephone: 02920234234
E-mail: OTAdmin@cardiff.gov.uk

Paediatrics (Family Gateway): 0300 133 133

CAV White
Copyright © 2020 Cardiff and Vale University Health Board | Privacy Policy | Terms | Sitemap